Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy 50th Birthday, My Wonderful Brother-in-law!

Yesterday we celebrated my Brother-in-law, Mark's, 50th Birthday. Mark has been a part of my life since I was 17. He is a totally, completely, honestly wonderful man. As my dad once said to my sister -- even though he meant it as an insult to her -- She was lucky Mark married her. Although luck had nothing to do with it ... it was indeed a blessing to find a man like Mark.
It is so hard to believe that he has been a part of our family for over 28 years!
Yes, my sister and he have their arguments and no, he certainly isnt happy with some of the decisions I have made, but ... I trust him completely & I love him unconditionally. He is the brother I never had. He is funny, smart, and down-to earth. My sister truly is "lucky to have a man like Mark." Not because she is undeserving ... but because it is hard to find ANY individual that truly loves you for who you are, accentuates who you are, encourages you to be who you are ... and ... allows you to become what you are ultimately supposed to be!
The first year he met me, I was 17 and had a stage 3 Ovarian cancerous growth. He was in a lip sync group with two of his friends, Scott and Dave. They were called the three boys funk (I think!?) and played primarily rick james, grand master flash, and "funk" music! After my surgery, the three of them gave me a tee-shirt that read "token white girl." which I proudly wore everywhere. I remember going to a post surgery doctors appointment wearing it and my mother was trying to cover me up in the elevator.
Quite funny. Even today, Mark LOVES funk music. I often smile and burst into rap "dont push me, cuz I'm close to the --- edge -- I'm trying not to lose my head huh huh huh huh ... "
He was also there for me during my quite nasty divorce several years ago. When my own father decided to stand AGAINST me, Mark proudly sat and testified on my behalf, stating he had known me for nearly two decades and he believed I was a good mother and a decent human being.
Marks family is just as lovely as he is. The entire Suryan family is a joy to be around and a part of. My sister is not the only "lucky one." I am lucky, my mom is lucky and so are both of my kids. Flynn and Shelby have THE best uncle on the planet and I have the best brother-in-law on the planet. Thank you for marrying my sister Marky-poo. I love you dearly ...
HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY! Please stick around for a while longer, will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment