Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day ... to those really great dads

If you read my "Happy Birthday Dad ..." blog, you know that I shant be contacting MY father to wish him a happy day. Just because I dont call him or send him a card or "contact him" in any other way (because he sure as heck isnt going to read my blog) it doesnt mean I wont be thinking of him and/or wishing him "well." Despite the fact that he is a jerk for not loving and wanting to be a part of a great family, he is my Dad. I have to "love" him. I do "love" him. He was a part of bringing me into this world -- and I thank him for that. I also still wish that he find "inner peace." Maybe I should send him a ticket to Kung-fu Panda II. Anonymously of course --- he'd just throw anything away I mailed to him without opening it. He wouldnt get the movie anyway ... no sense of humor and NO room for revelations.
I would like to send my well wishes out to some other important dads in my life. First, Paul, the father of our two kids. Without him, Flynn and Shelby would not be a part of my life. Although he has a second family with two more kids, he is a good dad for Flynn and Shelby. Our parenting skills, lifestyles and personalities are different enough to give our kids an amazing look at life. I must say I wish Paul would include them more in his "new" family (He has a HUGE picture of just his new family that greets you as you enter his home -- which I think is a bit morbid and confusing --- sending the message to his first two kids that they dont "belong" in his home.) and according to Flynn and SHelby rules are different for them in his house than they are for the new little ones. I dont get that either. BUT ... Paul has helped me out immensely in the past several years ... after we have divorced. He has given our kids many opportunities that others would not have, as well as opportunities that I can not give. Together, we are teaching our children well ... and it shows!
The next Dads I wish to recognize are Mark and his dad Gus. Two more wonderul men in my life that deserve recognition for "jobs well done!" They are the ultimate dads ... they tinker, they work, they parent and they love. Their relationships with their kids are strong and unbreakable.
The final dad I shall honor is Bennett. A second dad to my kids, he has been a part of Flynn and Shelby's lives for more than half of their lives. He has been soccer dad, rock-band dad, pick-em up, drop em off -- you name it dad. He rarely misses a band concert and last year when I couldnt go because of work, he took them to each of their soccer matches. He has his own two grown children and doesnt HAVE to be a part of this second family like he does, but we are all very glad he does. Flynn and Shelby love him very much and so do I. Thank you for continuing to be a part of this familys life!
So ... that's all for now! To all the dads out there ... you have a tough job. Some of you do it better than others but ALL of you have accomplished what I believe is truly the #1 reason for being alive ... and that is creating life. For those that have chosen not to be dads or moms (whether you've actually created life or not ...) It is a shame. Being a parent is a blessing and the absolute best part of life!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon, nice post, very cool to hear about the different "cool" dad figures in your life!

    Now listen girlfriend, I follow your blog and love it! Will you follow either my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/artplaytoday (click the like button at the top of the page) or my blog: http://www.artplaytoday.blogspot.com (click the "follow" button in the right sidebar)

    I would love to have your support on those!

    ReplyDelete