Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

So last night I tossed and turned because my brain was bombarding me. I was set ablaze (again) by yet another "story" on the news last night about cycling. Apparently it is not enough that we have spent money on creating bike lanes that cyclists dont even HAVE to use ... now they want to make a law that says cars must leave a 3 or 5 ft buffer when passing cyclists. Now, I completely admire cyclists for both their physical ability and environmental awareness. What I do NOT admire or wish to tolerate is how I usually witness cyclists complete disregard for any "laws."

Approximately 15 years ago my dear co-worker was literally run down and killed in a crosswalk.
After the light changed to the "walk" signal, John took three steps into the crosswalk at 4th and University and was struck -- hard -- by a legal bike messenger. He was thrown to the ground, his head colliding with the pavement. He died a week later, never recovering from a coma. The bike messenger? Never cited. Still today, there are NO laws for cyclists.

Supposedly, they are to follow the same laws as motor vehicles??? So, how many cars or motorcycles do you see riding side by side next to pedestrians ON crosswalks? How many cars or motorcycles do you see slowing down at intersections and glancing both ways then proceeding straight thru a red light?
It is absurd that money is being spent for special bike lanes when Cyclists arent even required to use them. Our Governor is hemming and hawing about our blown budget and yet were spending money on this stupid shit? Oh yeah, cut schooling, parks and prison protection ... but hey, let's put in some bike lanes... yeah, that'd be neat!
Well, here's another neat idea. Why don't we make sure there are SPECIFIC laws for cyclist? It was proven 15 years ago that a bicycle can be just as deadly as a motor vehicle. Johns widow, Barb, would agree. ANYONE riding a bicycle on city streets should have to be trained and licensed. The licensing fees and fines for broken cycling laws can pay for those neat bicycle lanes ... that SHOULD, by the way, require mandatory usage.
I live on Queen Anne and at the end of 2010 they added a bicycle lane that goes all the way up Taylor Avenue. I havent seen one freaking cyclist use it. The street has been redesigned, making both north/south "car" lanes tiny, AND they have left the street torn up where they removed the pre-existing center line. ANNOYING!!!!
I want cyclists to be safe. I want pedestrians to be safe. I want motor vehicles to be safe. BUT, there have GOT to be some laws for cyclists. It is NOT logical that cyclists should be able to weave in and out of traffic in between cars, go from crosswalk to sidewalk to street ... at their whim! I have nearly run more than a cyclist or two over because they were behaving in such ways. RESPONSIBILITY! I should not be responsible or to blame for hitting a cyclist if they have chosen to quickly "change paths."
At the South end of Lake Union, by Daniels, there is a sign just for cyclists, directing them to get off the road and get on the sidewalk ... for their safety. At more than one stop-light sitting there, I have witnessed huge disregard for that sign. On one occurrence, I literally counted 10 cyclists at that light ... NONE of them stopped at the light (they did the quick look to the left) ... and only 2 of them actually veered off to the sidewalk as instructed.
My ex-husband, whom I still adore and have coffee with daily, was an olympic cyclist and is still a rather avid cyclist today. I have seen him racing 40mph down Taylor avenue and even HE agree's that today's cyclist are a special breed.
Certain freedoms are taken away from us every day. Auto drivers have to wear seat-belts, Motorcyclists have to wear helmets, We cant use our cell-phones while driving, we cant smoke in public places. I may or may not agree with these ... but they are changes and laws that have been made to "protect" us. I am not out to get Cyclists ... Again, I truly do admire them. However, I can not stress how insane I think it is that there are no laws or requirements for cycling.
You are operating a "vehicle" of potential destruction. You should know how to ride it, use it, and be responsible while enjoying it.
EVERYONE would be a lot safer if there were laws and licensing requirements. There would be fewer questions from motor vehicle operators, and for that matter, pedestrians wouldn't have to worry about being run over when they are either on the sidewalk or in a crosswalk.

A cyclist ran through a red light 15 years ago. He killed a man and paid no fine. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in a decade and a half. In fact, it seems as though matters are worse.
We have given cyclists another place to "ride" without even a vote. Now, they want to confuse things even more. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ... MANDATORY lessons and licensing. Until then, stop spending precious funds on frivolous extras that aren't even being used!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment