Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Wednesday, January 19, 2011


After reading another blog about missed opportunities in regards to family relationships, I would like to write about my Granny. My Granny was my mom's mom. I never met my mom's dad because he passed away several years before I was born. My Granny, however, was very present in my life. Although she too died very early on, I was fortunate enough to spend 19 years of my life with her. She lived with us for nearly half of my life, before my mother re-married and my Granny moved out.
My Granny was a very elegant, well-dressed working woman. And, I dont mean a call girl. She left her family when she was 13 and was the first of 9 children to graduate from high school. After meeting her husband in a saloon (he was a card dealer and she was a bar maid) they settled in the seattle area and of course got respectable jobs. He for Boeing, building bombers and she for Sears, first in the photo department and then moving into human resources.
My mom and dad built the house we lived in with her in mind. There was a full mother-in-law apartment where she lived. It came in handy when my mom and dad divorced because my sister and I would spend a lot of time visiting with her. Again, she worked full time, so she was not our care-taker ... but she was close by when she wasnt working!
She used to dress so beautifully. Always had her face made up and always in heels. Not only was she a great female role-model "looks wise" but she was also hysterically funny. I often give her credit for teaching me how to swear and drive. In the car, she would frequently yell out "bastard!" or "shit head!" Then she'd turn to me, smile and either laugh or say ... "you didnt hear that!" Granny was something to be cherished, indeed.
We lived in separate residences for a few years, but in my last six months of high school, I had moved in with her. I was previously commuting to high school but after getting into a BAD auto accident, I no longer had a car. She lived in a mobile home close to the school and she made the offer for me to be with her. It was small and ... she smoked ... but I enjoyed living with her. Sure, I complained at the time, but I really do have fond memories. I had my own little space in the laundry room. She would make me toast and cocoa every morning while I took my shower. It would always be sitting there on the bathroom counter when I got out. It drove me nuts! I would always tell her not to make it ... but she always did. I often think back and tear up ... as I am doing now, thinking about how much I took her for granted and I wished I would have thanked her for all of those cups of cocoa and uneaten toast. She died the day after mothers day 25 + years ago and I think about her often. We are alike in so many ways and I wish my kids could have known her. I wish she could see what beautiful children I have brought in to the world and that her driving lessons are being carried on thru me to my children ....

No comments:

Post a Comment