Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ah, here I sit once again! I thought today I would start off by sharing some quick funny car stories. I've always enjoyed cars and driving. When I was 13, I decided it'd be fun to drive my moms car down the driveway with my best friend. We hopped in my mom's Toyota Celica hatchback, I turned over the ignition and carefully backed up to the turn-around spot. Once headed in the right direction, I put it into drive and headed down the steep twisty drive. Got halfway down and was headed into the second turn when I was met head-on with my mom and step dad! Oooops! I threw the thing in reverse and floored it! I flew backwards up the driveway. I crested the top and SLAM!! I blew over a boulder and wedged the back drivers side wheel in-between it and an evergreen. My friend was horrified. She thought I'd be in trouble for the rest of my life! Didnt actually get in trouble ... at all! Of course, my step dad was less thrilled than my mother. I think my mom was more amused at my predicament and knew that MY knowing what I did was stupid was punishment enough.
My next car adventure happened after I had to move to the Eastside. We lived in hoity toity Medina in a community of 8 homes that sat on the Overlake Golf course. We owned the second to last home in the drive. Our next door neighbors, "Fred and DeeDee," were probably in their late 50's and owned a lovely 1979 Monte Carlo. The ones that used to look a Cadillac. Anyway, Fred and DeeDee were going out of town for a few days and asked if I would like to "house-sit." I believe they offered me $10 a day to take care of the house for them. They were a really nice couple and were trying to make me feel special! Of course I jumped on the opportunity. So, after they left, I went into their house to have a look around. Now, the thought hadn't occurred to me to take their car when they were asking me to watch the house. It was when I saw the gleaming keys dangling from the hook on the kitchen wall that I thought it'd be a good idea to take the car out for a spin. I didnt take it the first day, or even the second. But the third day was just too much for me. I simply had to tame the beast. I called one of my friends, Betty, and asked if she'd like to go visit another friend of mine in my OLD neighborhood. She jumped at the chance for a little joy ride.
I want to be given credit for this bold idea. I was driving from Bellevue to Burien, at the age of 15, in my neighbors car. That's 21+ miles one-way solo (with another unlicensed friend.) Life was grand. So, off we headed. We drove to Sam's house in Burien. We hung out there for just a short while and then headed back to Bellevue. No "issues" of any sort there or back. Betty and I pulled back into the driveway, drove past the first 6 houses in the community, headed down and around the corner toward my house and Fred and DeeDees ...
And there were Fred and DeeDee. My face must have turned completely white in a half a second. WHAT the HECK were they doing home??? They were supposed to be gone until the next day!!! Oh Geez ... what do I say, what do I do?? I pulled the car up. Both Fred and DeeDee standing there. DeeDee with a cigarette in one hand, ash hanging ...
"What're you doing with the car?" Fred says to me. My brilliant instant reply ...
"There were prowlers so we took the car to Bettys house!"
They paid me for watching their house and I believe actually had me watch it again for them after that. Not another word was mentioned about my "saving their car from prowlers." Until, that is, the day that I got married on the front lawn ... some 10 years later. Of course Fred and DeeDee were invited to the wedding. DeeDee came up ... again, cigarette in hand. I think she'd also had a couple glasses of white wine. She gave me a gigantic hug, smiled and loudly laughed ...
"DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN YOU STOLE OUR CAR?"
Good times ....

2 comments:

  1. Too funny, that is one memory I will never forget and is forever etched in my mind! I think i peed my pants that day when we were 13 (seems like we were even younger?)...you were fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a lot of people like Fred and DeeDee around these days! Special to have people like that around you, even now in memory!!

    ReplyDelete