Will work for Prada

Will work for Prada
Shannons Seattle

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another day, another blog .... Yesterday several things came to mind to write about. I hate to seem that I am ranting in most of my blogs, but I am hopefully provoking thought. Of course, I am not trying to irritate anyone or make enemies ... I just need to state my peace ... piece? I suppose both apply!
Last week, I went to the WorkSource office (as directed by the unemployment office.) WorkSource is another topic that I will discuss -- which I think is absolutely fabulous -- Really! It is an awesome resource with wonderful, helpful people. But this blog is about a "policy" that Worksource has that I dont necessarily agree with.
When you walk in to WorkSource, the entire office is plastered with signs saying "no personal fragrances" They go on to give examples; no cologne, Perfume, Hair spray and I believe even deodorant. Now, I know people are allergic --- I know I know I know! And I must say there are a LOT of individuals that bathe in the stuff. They wear enough for all of us to rub up against them and get a full weeks supply of scent of our own. BUT -- come on!
It's another personal liberty taken away. Just last night on the news they were discussing the very same issue. I cant remember which office was thinking of "banning" fragrance, but the concensus was similar. One woman felt it was "micro-mananging." It's like when the airlines removed peanuts from the "snacks" they handed out because "some" of the passengers were, or may have been, allergic to nuts.
It's tough because we cant ask all people that are allergic to something to live in a bubble, but it just isnt right to limit non-allergic people because of them! At Medina Elementary they have all sorts of "peanut free" "gluten free" etc .... rooms! I was concerned at first thinking, geez ... I cant make my kids a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because some other kid is allergic?? Turns out they certainly allow you to send your kids to school with those things to eat ... but they have peanut free, Gluten free, apple free, etc etc ... tables where the allergic kids can eat. My son didnt eat his Nutella and Banana sandwich there.
It just so happens that the day I went to WorkSource I spritzed a little perfume on. When I arrived and saw all of the signs I immediately became uncomfortable! I knew that I didn't reek, but my nose was overly sensitive. I was trying to smell out everyone else in the place. Is that ME that smells? Or is it the chick in front of me? Oh ... it's her for sure ... I wonder if the gal at the front desk that signs everyone in will THINK its me ... What will she do? Will she tell me to leave?
You know, while I may not agree with their policy, I certainly WOULD have (and will when I go back) adhere to it. IF they have such a policy, they should let you know when you are told to go. You are sent a packet of instructions advising you when to attend a mandatory meeting, what forms to fill out and what other procedures are. I think if they are serious about helping people get jobs, they should first make people feel as comfortable as possible ... especially on first meeting. If Fragrance is banned here, the packet should include statement about the fragrance free policy.
As for the policy itself, I believe its silly. Not everyone that uses fragrance abuses fragrance. I do believe it is just one more thing to be "taken away" from us. It's our right to wear it. Perhaps it will one day, however, create jobs. "Perfume Police." They can hire individuals to sniff out fragrance wearers and issue citations. It'll be like one of those cartoons when they grab the guy (or gal) race them to a shower and scrub them down!!! Hello, people that smoke cigarettes usually reek right after going out for a smoke ... are you gonna bust them too?
That makes me sneeze just as much as the dude wearing a gallon of old spice.
The point is, when are we going to stop picking at our freedom? I question our countries "land of the free" status more and more. If we drive, we have to wear a seatbelt (yet even school busses DONT have seatbelts??) If we ride, we have to wear a helmet, we cant use our cell-phones while we drive, we cant smoke anywhere, and now we cant wear perfume.
My mother accused me of wanting anarchy. PLEASE! I just want to smell pretty. I will write more on our freedoms being taken away. Right now, I think I will write a letter to WorkSource and the unemployment office asking them to PLEASE inform people of their non-perfume policy PRIOR to the in-your-face-on-the-spot contact. Most of us can adjust to change (is that a redundant comment?) If I have to give up one more freedom ... I'll get over it. I'm just not going to like it at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment